Saturday, August 7, 2010

PACIFIC PARTNERSHIP 2010



Pacific Partnership 2010

Hello to all who might be reading this blog! As a new blogger, I am not sure where to begin or what might be interesting to you. If you’re reading this, you probably already know this…but just for the record, I am participating in a humanitarian project called “Pacific Partnership 2010”, which is a collaboration between The Church and the US Navy and several other NGOs on the USNS Mercy hospital ship. It is a project offering medical, veterinary, and engineering services in Southeast Asia. The ship has been sailing since May and has already provided services to people in Cambodia, Vietnam & Indonesia. Our next stop is East Timor (more on that country later)…






USNS MERCY

Here is a little bit of information about the Mercy ship (Thanks, Wikipedia! :)

“Mercy was built as an oil tanker, SS Worth in 1976. Starting in July 1984, she was renamed and converted to a hospital ship by the same company. Her primary mission is to provide rapid, flexible, and mobile acute medical and surgical services to support Marine Corps Air/Ground Task Forces deployed ashore, Army and Air Force units deployed ashore, and naval amphibious task forces and battle forces afloat. Secondarily, she provides mobile surgical hospital service for use by appropriate US Government agencies in disaster or humanitarian relief or limited humanitarian care incident to these missions or peacetime military operations”


THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT EAST TIMOR...


You might be thinking, “I actually do not know anything about East Timor.” It certainly had never been on my radar. I have learned a few things from some of the info packets that they have given to us.

Name of the Country

Timor comes from the Malay word for “East.” So, literally interpreted, it means “East-East.” The Portuguese name is Timor Leste, again meaning “East-East.” I’m getting the sense that it’s in the East.

Size

-About the size of Connecticut

-About 1.3 million people

Official Languages

Tetum and Portuguese

Religions

90% Roman Catholic

5% Protestant

3% Muslim

Also some Buddhists, Hindus, and animinsts.

(I am not sure yet how established the LDS Church is in the area)

Literacy (percentage of people over the age of 15 who can read and write)

58.6%

Values

Very family- and community- oriented. One info packet I read said: “They look down on people who put their own needs ahead of the group. Wisdom and empathy are highly respected” We could all learn a lesson from them!

Natural Resources

Gold, petroleum, natural gas, manganese, marble

(I see gold, petroleum, and natural gas…hmmm…could this be why so many countries want to own this little area of land?)

Leaders

President/Chief of state-Jose Ramos-Horta

Head of government/Prime Minister- Kay Rala Xanana Gusmao

Poverty

42% of the population is below the poverty line (not sure what their poverty line is…)

Climate

Tropical, warm and humid all year with a wet and dry season.

History Lesson

The people descend from migrants from Asia and Melanesia.

Countries who have occupied/ruled East Timor: Portugal, Holland, Japan, and Indonesia

Exploration: 16th century-Portuguese explorers arrive, followed shortly by the Dutch. They fought for control until a series of treaties finally assigned East Timor to the Portuguese.

Japanese Invasion: Japan invaded the country during World War II, until the Japanese surrendered to the Allies in 1945 and Portugal resumed control of East Timor.

Portugal Withdraws: In the 1970s Portugal’s resources were being drained by independence movements in Angola and Mozambique, so they ended up withdrawing from its East Timor colony.

Independence! November 28, 1975-East Timor finally gains independence from Portugal

Nine days later…Sad story: while the Portuguese had been preparing to withdraw from East Timor in the 70s, Indonesia was clandestinely making plans of their own. NINE DAYS after the officially declared independence from Portugal, Indonesia invades and assumes control.

Unrest: (This is one example of many of turmoil and bloodshed in the country)- In the late 1990s, economic and political turmoil led to an opportunity for a referendum on independence for East Timor. The East Timorese enthusiastically voted for independence. But the Indonesian military responded with violence and killed over a thousand Timorese people, driving out ¾ of the population out as refugees, and essentially wrecking the infrastructure of the country. Independence, again! In 2002 East Timor finally re-gained independence.

Current state: They have since had a few more troubles, but thankfully in the last couple of years they have enjoyed a season of peace and have maintained their independence.

Well, everybody--that's a little overview about the project, the ship, and the country we are headed to. I will try and post other updates as internet access allows! I just feel very blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of this great endeavor. And I am grateful for the Ultimate Example of service, our Savior Jesus Christ, the true Healer of men's souls!
P.S. Can you tell I am a novice blogger? I can't get the font to format correctly! Alas!


4 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you are on that boat! Very interesting facts! I love that it's name is East East--very funny! Too bad you are not that country for the Olympics--you would have your presentation done! P.S. Clara thanks for you in her prayers multiple times a day and multiple times in the prayer all of her own volition. She can't figure out why you are not in your house or car coming to see us. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, you are a far more sophisticated novice blogger than I was. I'm thrilled for you and the amazing service you will be able to give the people of East-East. What an opportunity to be a medical instrument in the Lord's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! Thanks for the very insightful overview. We'll be watching your posts! How long is the boat ride?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how long will you be aboard? and where else are you headed?

    ReplyDelete